Forming a holding company as a Tier 1 Investor
In order to make the permitted investment in the UK, most individuals seeking to obtain a Tier 1 Investor visa will do so by transferring investment funds into a managed portfolio of shares and/or corporate bonds issued by a carefully chosen selection of UK listed companies for the relevant period of time. As there is no 'active involvement' required on the part of the investor to be eligible for a Tier 1 visa; you will not be required to have any business experience, or to actively be involved in the running of the company. If you decide to invest by owning shares from a selection of listed companies, it might be wise to form a holding company to hold the shares.
Running your own business as a Tier 1 investor
However, some investors may prefer to invest in a single private company or their own business rather than a traditional managed portfolio. InvestWise will help you form your company, as well as act as your Company Secretaries or Nominee Directors to help you run your company, or to represent you on the board of a company that you choose to invest in.
- Applicant must invest a minimum of £2 million in active UK companies for a period of five years.
- Applicant must have opened a UK investment account at an FCA regulated institution
- There are no English language requirements or language tests in the initial application (only required for subsequent residency applications)
- There is no individual maintenance requirement
- Applicant is required to meet good character requirements and have a clean criminal records statement.
The processing time for an investor visa is just 8 weeks if you use the standard service, and within 5 working days of your UKVCAS appointment if you use the priority service. The initial visa is granted for 3 years and 4 months and applicants can apply to extend this residency for a further 2 years. Investors can then apply for indefinite leave to remain after 5 years and British citizenship after 6 years. The Investor Visa has more favourable conditions than most UK Visas, and under certain circumstances, visa holders will be eligible for indefinite leave to remain (settled status) after just two years of UK residency.
- if you invest £10 million, you can apply to settle after 2 years
- if you invest £5 million, you can apply to settle after 3 years
- if you invest £2 million, you can apply to settle after 5 years